Skip to main content

Can a federal judge order me to surrender a foreign passport to get bail?

Whitney S. Boan Protecting Your Right

Video Transcript

A federal judge can order you to forfeit or to at least turn over temporarily, either a domestic or a foreign passport as a condition of your release pending trial. Usually this is done to ensure that you’re not going to try to leave the country or to flee while your charges are still pending and you’re awaiting your day in court. If a judge orders you to do this, you should comply. You should do so even as a condition precedent to being released often times, as you may not be able to get out if you do not comply with the court’s order to do so.